Friday, April 09, 2010


I am not an organized person.  So naturally when I went to print today I discovered I'm not going to have enough yellow ochre for the whole project.  Also being an impatient person I didn't want to wait to order any from Daniel Smith.  So I fell back on my printmaking class training and mixed some up.  (Thanx Jim Lorigan.)

The one on the left is yellow ochre, the one on the right is my yellow/red/blue/white mix.  Not perfect, but I think I like the mix better.

Apropos the above admissions, of course I didn't make any notes while I was mixing.  I just kept adding a dollop of this and a smear of that.  So it'll be interesting to see how the color is going to vary as I go along.  Hopefully still in the same family.  ;- j


Curiouser and curiouser.  Almost immediately the ink printed darker on the paper.  I think it's the lack of humidity that makes the ink get clumpy.  L.A. is seldom humid, and certainly not at the moment.  But still not a problem.  I got 12 prints done with the ink I'd made up.  I kept having to add water to it to keep it from drying out.

Here are some prints on the rack.

It's really weird how it got darker, when my sample sheets were lighter than the ochre.


Hmm, less success this afternoon.  Added some ink retarder, but it didn't do anything good.  Done for the day.

No comments: