Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Fabric Block Print


ochre on cotton (w/ black peeking thru)

I had to add magnesium carbonate to the fabric ink to make it thick enough to roll and cover. There was still some black ink on the block, which gave the print an antique gold effect. I may try it again on purpose. I like the solid ochre print as well.

I have some methyl celulose on hand -- I may try thickening the ink with that. Also could try rice paste. The ink is water-soluable and heat setting. So far it works fine with a press. I need to see how it will print without one.

I'm thinking of covering the block with a piece of wood then whacking it with my rubber mallet. I'll also try stepping on it. I'll put a felt underneath.

I tried printing some of my other blocks -- finer-lined -- and they were too closed to print well. This technique really works best with large areas of white.

2 comments:

Diane Cutter said...

I like the black showing, Ellen... Good tip on big white areas for better printing. I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks!

vivien said...

Lovely work :)


A group of bloggers have started a fun thing of 'tagging' - consider yourself tagged!

See my blog http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ of today to see how it works

if you feel like joining in you just list 7 blogs you think are interesting and 7 facts about yourself on your blog, giving a link back to me and the links to the 7 blogs chosen.

It's a great way of finding interesting blogs and expanding the readership of your blog :)

I'm hoping to join another print exchange in the future with ssnow